Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Reel and Artist Statement


Artist Statement

            As a filmmaker, I aim to create unique images that further enhance the story. Rather than simply depicting a visual to accompany the storyline or message, I craft visualizations to reflect the emotions of the subjects. The frame becomes a window into the lives or sentiment projected upon these people and objects.
            Through my role as a director, every detail helps to comprise the larger meaning of a shot. A shot not only communicates the action or dialogue, but also builds the message of a film. Each one possesses some sort of meaning. I choose to tell stories through visualizations or lack thereof. I believe dialogue should possess just as much meaning to the story as the lighting or frame; excessive amounts of these filming elements results in what I like to call “mush” onscreen.
            Mush relates to the overabundance of a particular filming element without any sort of motive or incentive. I feel that excessive amounts of dialogue lose their meaning and just become noise in the background. Excessive amounts of characters make it difficult to form a connection or bond between the audience and the universe envisioned onscreen. Though there may be a time and place for each, I attempt to focus as much of my frame on the key elements as I can. In order to do so, my position as a cinematographer takes control.

            Cinematography allows me to paint portraits of people, places, and objects, but above all emotion. Emotion is something cannot be seen yet we all know exists. The images I create allow emotion to take a visual form through my framing and lighting. Frames allow characters to relish in their freedom through wide shots or reveal their most intimate moments through close-ups. Shadows are equally as important to a shot as the lighting is. Lights are able to reveal while the shadows allow me to obscure. I enjoy painting sets with color to emphasize the mood of a scene. Most of my sets contain at least one or two gels just to give my shots a splash of fantasy or delusion. This technique helps to draw in my audience’s attention just enough for them to focus on the story.

10 comments:

  1. Really loved the shot of the guy twirling fire and the girl with the glowing hula hoop! those where amazing and must have been difficult to get. Through your images, I can definitely tell what type of style you have. Really great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your night shots (particularly the turn table, hula hoop, and fire ones)! They are really dynamic and your best shots for sure. <3
    I didn't love the song. I didn't feel like it matched your footage. It distracted me from your good work. Other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shots of the guy twirling fire and the girl with the hula hoop were really cool. I also like the use of color in you reel and in your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really shows off your style! But I agree with Mary Kathryn about the song. A different choice would probably work more cohesively with your footage. I rewatched it without sound and I liked it much better. However, the shots of Tanner from Annelise's scene assignment felt out of place. Maybe a different shot from that same project?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate to sound repetitive but the only flaw I could think of was the song. It made me feel uneasy, which might have been the mood you were going for. I love the dj scratching shot the light is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lighting and the colors in your reel were wonderful. You do very well in environments that do not have a lot of light which is a great attribute to have. I love all the shots from your scene assignment. I had a great time working on and meeting your family. I also loved the hula hooping and the fire dancing. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The song seemed kind of scary and a little off putting, and your second shot, the very white wide shot stood out in a jarring way compared to your other dark shots. Other than that, fantastic reel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favorite thing about your reel was all the lighting, it was really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reel made me want to see more. I feel like it didn't fully display your abilities. Maybe it's the pacing of the video or the music, but this reel just left me feeling like it was lacking a centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. While I liked all your shots, I would have liked to see a little more variety, as 5 of the first 6 shots are from "Reflection"

    ReplyDelete