Thursday, December 11, 2014

Course Reflection - Not to Be Confused with My Film Short "Reflection"



                This course has taught me more about my field than the majority of my academic career at the University of Alabama. Though some consider the name of the course to be “Advanced Cinematography”, the class taught me about the technical aspects of camera movement and camera specifics as well as the efficiency of pre-production materials and production etiquette. Prior to the class, I would never have realized the importance of shooting scripts or storyboards. I usually envision how I want shots to look in my mind and struggle through the communication process with my cinematographer. Understanding these elements helped my filmmaking process tremendously.

                The ability to use certain equipment and learn about others was probably my favorite and most influential aspect about the class. Previously, I had worked with some of the more basic equipment like the JVC HM100 cameras and the Manfrotto tripods but this was the first time I was introduced to prime lenses or the Spyder dolly. As the semester continued and I worked more with this equipment, my shots became more complex and articulate.

Unfortunately, I discovered the world of lighting a bit too late into the semester. Within the past few weeks I realized how much I loved to play with the lighting and shadows of my subjects. The lighting helps me to enhance or completely alter the mood of my subjects simply with the placement of the light and its reflection. I found the magic of gels and now have a difficult time staying away from them. I just wish I had more time to play with the lighting kits and accessories during class. My time on-set helped to raise my confidence with lighting but I feel as if other students should also get the opportunity. Maybe if the course taught students lighting earlier in the semester, it would benefit their confidence and projects as well.

Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I learned more about the filmmaking process as a whole rather than what is in frame. The class is invaluable and would suggest for any student looking to improve their filmmaking to register for it. Though I wish we learned more about lighting earlier in the semester and had more projects to work on throughout the course, this has helped me to realize I could do more than just edit. It opened many doors that I never would have thought to look through and has been a pleasure every step of the way. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment